Storms are crazy. Storm chasers are badass.
Minor league baseball teams can get pretty creative in their team names. When they’re not named after their big league affiliates, the minor league team nicknames often add local color and other historical or natural influences. Sometimes – if we’re lucky – the names venture out from silly and interesting into pure badass.
So I though I’d make a roundup of the scariest, meanest, craziest, and most hardcore local team names out there. These are the ten most badass minor league baseball team names I’ve run across.
10 Badass Minor League Baseball Team Names
- Diablos Rojos del México. “Diablos” (i.e., Devils) is just plain cool. Originally called the Reds, their current nickname game from a 1942 game in which they were down 13-7 in the ninth inning. The team rallied back with 7 runs to win the game, leading Basilio ‘Brujo’ Rosell to exclaim, “these Reds play like devils.”
- Albuquerque Isotopes. Isotopes are notorious for being unstable.
- Omaha Storm Chasers. Did you ever see Twister? Storm chasers rule.
- Las Vegas 51s. Named for Area 51. And Vegas.
- Erie SeaWolves. Wolves are scary. SeaWolves? Scary times ten.
- Frisco Rough Riders. Named after Teddy Roosevelt’s famously swashbuckling military regiment. That’s badass enough, but somehow the use of the abbreviated ‘Frisco makes it even cooler.
- Lakeland Flying Tigers. Tigers are awesome; Flying Tigers are awesomer.
- Quad Cities River Bandits. River bandits come and go as they please, looting and pillaging.
- Kannapolis Intimidators. These guys are so badass, even their name is intimidating.
- Peoria Javelinas. Do you know what a Javelina is? I had to look it up. It’s a dangerous, scary pig.
A badass baseball team needs a badass logo. Out of these ten minor league teams, our winner for the best (a.k.a. scariest (a.k.a. most badass)) team logo is the Lakeland Flying Tigers:
Just check out that crazy tiger with angel wings descending from on high, like the angel of death! Scary as crap.
May 2016 – May means spring, and spring means baseball. And flowers and stuff.
What were the best MLB games of the month of May in the 2016 season? And can you go back and watch these games without having the ending spoiled?
The answer to both is – YES! Here at Baseball Rewatch, the goal is to be the ultimate resource for watching excellend baseball for the true MLB fan. Note: you’ll need a subscription to MLB.tv (or some other way to watch games online and/or on demand – currently MLB.tv is far and away the best source for this).
Keep following our site for daily updates (with no details revealed) on the best games of each day as the regular season progresses. But for now, in the offseason, the best way to get your MLB fix is to come here and find some quality baseball to watch. Here, we’re looking at May 2016 and finding the best game from each day of the month.
Great Games, No Spoilers
Below we’ll list our opinion of the best game(s) from each day in the month of May for the 2016 MLB season. How do we decide? Well, we look over baseball stat and news sites for highlights and special achievements, and anything out of the ordinary we will include. Then we look at the game itself – does it feature excellent pitching on both sides? Does the lead switch back and forth? Is there a wild comeback? Walkoff win? A sixteen strikeout or three-home run performance? These types of factors merit inclusion.
What you won’t find – other than any spoilers – is any boring blowout games. Expect to be entertained with fun, interesting, unusual, or simply excellent baseball games from the 2016 MLB season.
Best MLB Games of the Month: May 2016
Each of the links below will take you to the game with the home team feed automatically selection. You can change the color commentary or broadcast network to the away feed (most games) once the game starts.
Interesting note #1: The entire 3-game Dodgers/Padres series of May 20-22 made the list. Great series, and you can watch the whole thing at the links below.
Interesting note #2: The very next games that both the Dodgers and the Padres played (against different opponents) made the list on the following day, May 23.
Interesting note #3: The Red Sox/Blue Jays series is another excellent 3-game series, featured from May 27-29.
Did we miss any great MLB games from May 2016? Two teams failed to make the list this month – can you find them? Were we right? Do you have any others to add, mention it in the comments below! Then, bookmark or pin this post for later:
The 2016 Major League Baseball season was another one for the record books. Here is the 2016 MLB season in 10 memes.
1. The beginning of 2016 all MLB fans be like…
I’m already feeling this for 2017.
2. A new season means new… nope, same old Mike Trout
Here’s the original robbery, and here’s the 2016 version (well, one of them at least). Then there’s 2015, then 2014…
3. 2016 let everyone know that the weird Blue Jays-Rangers rivalry is a thing
It made headlines everywhere, and made the rivalry between Canada and Texas a real thing.
4. This was the season of Pitchers Who Rake
…not to mention other heavy hitters like Bartolo Colon.
5. Max Scherzer and his 20 Ks
In 2016, Max joined the exclusive 20K club. Not to mention the 2-time Cy Young club. When Max is on the mound… Put your bat down, you won’t need it.
6. Yankees rookie gets cray hot
Gary Sanchez just went insane, nearly lugging the dreary Yankees to the playoffs in the process.
7. Jose Fernandez.
Rest in peace. You will be missed.
8. And then…. The Cubbies.
The whole world pretty much turned into Cubs fans for the 2016 season.
9. Grandpa Rossy wasn’t the only player to retire in 2016, but he sure went out with a bang
Wasn’t that game unbelievable? I still get shivers. Imagine nailing a HR in your very last game… in Game 7 of the WS… to help the Cubbies break the curse… amazing.
10. Speaking of retiring, 2016 was OWNED by Ortiz
In the final season of a no-doubt Hall of Fame career, Big Papi lead the league in doubles, slugging, and OPS, and led all of MLB in RBI. Not a bad way to go.